Saturday, March 1, 2008

First ob-gyn visit

On Thursday I had my first appointment with my new ob-gyn, Dr. Nason. I had to pick a new doctor because my old doctor left the practice last year, and I haven't been to the gyno since then. I read about the different doctors I could choose from, and Dr. Nason sounded compassionate, careful, and thorough--all great traits to have in your doctor.

I knew from the moment I saw her when she came into the room on Thursday that she was the perfect choice for me. Her presence was reassuring. She listened to everything I said and was very forthright in her answers to my questions. She offered advice and supported my opinions. We talked about my appointment schedule for my whole pregnancy, and about how things might need to change in my life (especially at work), and a lot about my delivery of the twins. Everything she said was helpful and comforting and gave me confidence in the whole process. All in all, my visit with her couldn't have gone better.

Because I still continued to have spotting off and on for the last 2 weeks, she set up an ultrasound for me that afternoon just to make sure everything was okay in there. This was my first abdominal ultrasound, and it was a lot more comfortable than the transvaginal ones! And, the ultrasound tech held the device right over my belly bump, just below my belly button, so I guess the babies really are in that bump!

Seeing the twins was amazing, as always. They were so big and looked like real babies on the screen. The ultrasound tech showed me their little hearts beating away at 162 and 163 beats per minute--nice strong heartbeats. She showed me where their placentas are attaching, which was neat. The coolest thing was that their little limbs were randomly moving! Their hands and feet would spastically jerk out, or flutter around, while we watched. The tech said their muscles move as they grow and they can't control the movements yet, and of course the babies are so tiny (4cm, or about 1.5 inches, each) that I can't feel anything.

I got a new picture of them, so here it is:



If all continues to go well, and the spotting stops, we may not have another ultrasound until our "big" ultrasound when we can hopefully find out their genders, which isn't till the end of April. Dr. Nason said at our next appointment in 2 weeks, we can try to listen for their heartbeats with a device called a Doppler that can apparently pick up their heartbeats through my belly and broadcast the sound to the room. That sounds so cool and I can't wait. Also, my next appointment is early in the morning, so Jeff can come with me to meet Dr. Nason.


I'm now taking Zofran for the nausea, and it's working pretty well, better than the Reglan did. It seems to be stronger because I have been able to get by taking only one dose per day instead of the usual two. I hope I can continue the trend and soon wean myself off of the anti-nausea medicines.

2 comments:

Becky and Scott said...

Yay Reba! I'm so happy for you! I'm so glad that you are doing well! Enjoy every minute that you can!

Heather said...

Reba - I found your blog through your ttc diary. I am so happy for you! You look awesome! It looks like the twins are doing great. I love the baby bump pictures. That is the great thing about being pg with twins. You look pg faster. I have a blog too - kuemmerle.blogspot.com