Yesterday I had my first doctor's appointment since getting diagnosed with placenta previa. Since finding out about it, I've been following the doctor's orders, staying off my feet, resting on the couch all day, working from home on our laptop, and avoiding any kind of activity. Despite that, the bleeding has still continued on and off, and yesterday it happened to flare up again before my appointment.
Dr. Nason seemed very unhappy to hear that I was still experiencing bleeding. She told me she had to be honest with me, that there is a chance we could lose the affected baby because of this placenta previa. Of course I was shocked to hear this--I had somehow thought that it wasn't that serious, and as long as I did what I was supposed to do, everything would be all right. I hadn't considered that the bleeding could be directly and negatively affecting one of the babies--I didn't realize it was the baby's placenta that was bleeding. Dr. Nason listened to their heartbeats, found them both right away again, and they sounded nice and strong. But then she took the Doppler off my belly, and every moment since then, I have to wonder if the babies are still okay.
Needless to say, Jeff and I are scared and worried. It's so hard to hear that one of your babies possibly may not make it, and that you're already doing everything you can do to help. I scrutinize my every motion--will rolling over in bed at night hurt the baby, make its placenta bleed more, deprive it of nourishment? It's amazing how these little beings have only been in existence and part of our lives for about three months, but we would do anything to ensure their health and safety.
This has not been an easy pregnancy for us so far; we've already had a few complications along the way even before this. So we know these babies are strong, and they are fighters. It's hard watching and waiting every day, hoping it gets better and hoping with all our hearts that the babies are both doing okay, and not really knowing. But we're doing our best to take it one day, hour, minute at a time, and believe that it will all turn out all right.
Friday, March 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Hi there, found you from momstalk site, i have been following for sometime. I go on moms nov 2007. Congrats on your pregnancy and I"m praying for the best with your twins. Take care.
So scarey Reba. I am glad that the babies hearts are still beating away! Go away placenta previa and leave Reba's babies alone!!!!!!It is hard enough to worry about one baby inside, even harder for two. Thinking of u guys! ttyl heather
i hope you are feeling ok... i know this is scarey but keep faith and God will do what is best for everyone. i am here for you!
Hey Reba, I know this is scary.. the dr is just covering his or her butt. I asked my dr's daily when I was in the hospital on bedrest if I would have a premature baby.. They told me that everyday is a new day and that was good. That did not make me feel better. Anyway, one dr told me that she was on bedrest from 15 weeks with her twins and she made it to full term. She is now my primary! I just wanted some reassurance. You just do the best you can by listening to your dr. That is all that you can do. Bed rest is tough but it is so worth it in the end! Keep us posted and stay positive! Oh, you don't even have to ask to use my post, it is all yours! I started using your monitor the last couple of days.
Oh Reba, I'm sorry I didn't realize this could jeopardize the baby either. I'm praying for all 4 of you. Stay positive and have faith.
Love ya
Hi there, I got a comment from you on the iparenting board...thanks for that...and congrats on the twins. I just read you comment about the heartbeats...I can relate. I had 2 m/c's before having my 3 beautiful kiddos and I wanted to tell you you could rent a doppler if you want...I dont know how easy it would be to tell if you are getting different heartbeats, but its just a thought. I've been on bedrest with 2 of my kids and it is aweful, but try and keep faith and pray and update everyone you know and they will pray too. I really belive it helps alot. You get the support you need and hang in there! ++ Tammie
Post a Comment